Pop Culture Victim
Thursday, April 29, 2004
  It hurtses usssssss...
Beer is a wonderful wonderful invention. I don't know who was the first to let wheat and barley rot in a silo and then say "Hey! I'll drink the sludge at the bottom of this!" but then again, I also don't know who was the first to look at a cow and say "I'm going to drink whatever comes out of these, just like baby cows!"

So yeah. Needless to say, I was at Taekwon-do last night, and then we went to BP's and I managed to consume copious quantities of beer that I have to pay for after the fact, (read, this morning) in installments. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pay quickly enough for Beer's tastes, and he sent his collection agents after me to play the bongo with my skull.

Translation: I dislike hangovers supremely.

Still, it wasn't all bad. Sparring in particular was quite superlative, and I managed to at least fight a decent round against several of my usual adversaries. Even got some pictures of them, which I might post when I get a Round Tuit. (I keep misplacing the one I have...)

For tonight? So far I have no plan. I was going to be going to Calgary, and actually, I just might still, but all this will wait until this evening when I am less sub-human.

Other than all the misery mentioned above, I did a couple of things in the past couple of days that I haven't done in a long, long time. First, my results from gambling on Tuesday were not totally horrible. I managed to gamble for a good length at Palace, and did not actually lose any money (well, I spent money on cheese sticks in the restaurant, but I don't count that). After Palace, the gambling moved to my place and we played Crossfire. Crossfire is an interesting game.

A variant of poker, Crossfire has some interesting betting potential. See, everyone antes, and the cards are dealt (4 to each player, 5 in a 'plus' face-up in the middle, except for the middle one which is face down). From there, you attempt to make a decent 5-card hand, similar to 7-card-stud or something. If you decide to bet in the round, when the time comes, everyone goes to drop a token in the center. Those who do are in, and highest 5 card hand wins. Thing is, though, that if you lose, you then have to add the contents of the pot to the pot for the next round. Thus, the amount of money on the table gets larger and larger, quite quickly. For example, we had about 65 dollars on the table at one point, for one hand. Once only one person decides to go in on a hand, they have to simply beat the house hand (formed by the 5 table cards) and the money is theirs.

Once the cards were dealt and the debts settled, so to speak, I pleasantly discovered that I was up by about 16 dollars. I also discovered that the source of my new-found 16 dollars was the one person of the group that had lost a good chunk of money that night, and that I would probably never see my 16 dollars.

Sigh.

The other thing that I did (and that I had not done for some time, yes, I'm still on that...) was play the piano. For some reason, it was not as difficult as I had supposed. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I understand music better now that I'm older, or just the phase of the moon, but I felt I had a better handle of what the piano could do and how the notes worked together. It was quite odd, if you ask me.

So yeah. For now, I think recovery is my best plan, and that is what I plan on doing. Recovery, that is, as well as contemplating how Nickelback can release the EXACT SAME SONG twice as a Top 40 single and get away with it. (From One Good Thing)
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
What I think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great White North, Canada
RECENT POSTS
I was going to go take on the day, but I think it ...
Kitties!!!
Home again, home again, jiggity jig.
GLOMP!
I should be running on empty.
I shall try to be brief.
I fergot again.
Zzzzzzz....
Mmm. Beer. *drool*
Somethin's goin' down at the ol' McGillicutty Plac...

GOOD BLOGS
BoingBoing
Warren Ellis
Mimi Smartypants
Websnark
Wonderland
One Good Thing
Neil Gaiman
Latigo Flint
Drug WarRant
Kung-Fu Monkey
Pre-Shrunk
Defective Yeti
Lawrence Lessig
Evil Avatar
Digital Copyright Canada
Techdirt

GOOD PODCASTS
Daily Sonic
Geek Fu Action Grip
Wingin' It with Mike and Evo

GOOD COMICS
8-bit Theatre
Alien Loves Predator
Angel Moxie
Checkerboard Nightmare
Chopping Block
Comet 7
Dork Tower
El Goonish Shive
Elf Only Inn
Girls With Slingshots
goats: the comic strip
Instant Classic
The Perry Bible Fellowship
Jeremy
Least I Could Do
Mac Hall Comics
MegaTokyo
Men In Hats
Narbonic!
Nodwick
Penny Arcade!
Piled Higher and Deeper
PvP
Queen of Wands :'(
Questionable Content
Real Life
Red Meat
Road Waffles
RPG World
Sam and Fuzzy
Scary Go Round
Sinfest
Skirting Danger
Sluggy Freelance
Something Positive
Sore Thumbs
Spells & Whistles
Strong Bad's E-mail
The Doctor Pepper Show
The New Adventures of Bobbin!
Wigu
Jeff Rowland's Overcompensating!
Tony Esteves's Cigarro & Cerveja
Two Lumps
Underpower
VG Cats
White Ninja Comics
Wulffmorgenthaler

ARCHIVES
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by Blogger