Pop Culture Victim
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
  Oh my.
Some people talk about tests of will, of faith. The idea that God is simply seeing whether or not you are strong enough... for whatever, I suppose. Personally, I think it's really quite silly. What could an omniscient being possibly get out of "testing" us?

Still, it's worth considering when I see things like the Flybar.
When the guy at the bike store first told us about the Flybar, he said "Man, that thing bounces twenty feet!" It doesn't, but I understand why he exaggerated. The Flybar has an amazing Boing Factor. Instead of a standard spring, it uses rubber-like bands which make the bounce feel more like a trampoline and can give you a real workout. It's bulky, but sturdy. You can adjust to handle adult or kid weight. My 13-year-old son saved up for months to buy one and he's never been sorry, because when he takes it to the local park, the little kids stare at him open-mouthed and the big kids try to keep their mouths closed and hide the fact they're staring.

It's taking a lot of willpower to not buy this thing immediately. Just the concept of a pogo-stick that can give a big person such as myself SIX FEET of lift... let's just say that if I were a gal, there would be references to moistened underwear. The sheer potential for the Flybar in terms of fun and mayhem are staggering. I mean, it would be like having a trampoline just about anywhere. The Flybar is all but screaming in my ear, "BUY ME! BUY ME NOW! YOU ARE NOTHING WITHOUT ME!"

Let's be realistic though. Would I really use this thing, or would it be fun for a day or so and then just sit in a closet? Honestly, I don't know. I guess it would depend on whether or not the Flybar is a viable form of transportation or not. If I could really pogo to school, I'd be there faster than you can say "fractured ulna". Even the opportunity to bust it out at parties might make it worth it. And it's not like I haven't spent 300 dollars on sillier things...

If I decide that I should not buy one, my only hope is that my short attention span forgets about the idea, just like I forgot about the kangaroo-boots. Otherwise, the only thing holding me back is having to explain such a purchase to my parents, and that roadblock is only a few months away from evaporating itself. Oh, the tension!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
What I think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great White North, Canada
RECENT POSTS
On Trailers
Blizzard is a doodyhead.
The Willowz
Once upon a time
Reflections on the moving picture box
Now this is kind of interesting
Hammer of God
Have I plugged the Crimson?
So Star Wars has been and gone
Anger rising

GOOD BLOGS
BoingBoing
Warren Ellis
Mimi Smartypants
Websnark
Wonderland
One Good Thing
Neil Gaiman
Latigo Flint
Drug WarRant
Kung-Fu Monkey
Pre-Shrunk
Defective Yeti
Lawrence Lessig
Evil Avatar
Digital Copyright Canada
Techdirt

GOOD PODCASTS
Daily Sonic
Geek Fu Action Grip
Wingin' It with Mike and Evo

GOOD COMICS
8-bit Theatre
Alien Loves Predator
Angel Moxie
Checkerboard Nightmare
Chopping Block
Comet 7
Dork Tower
El Goonish Shive
Elf Only Inn
Girls With Slingshots
goats: the comic strip
Instant Classic
The Perry Bible Fellowship
Jeremy
Least I Could Do
Mac Hall Comics
MegaTokyo
Men In Hats
Narbonic!
Nodwick
Penny Arcade!
Piled Higher and Deeper
PvP
Queen of Wands :'(
Questionable Content
Real Life
Red Meat
Road Waffles
RPG World
Sam and Fuzzy
Scary Go Round
Sinfest
Skirting Danger
Sluggy Freelance
Something Positive
Sore Thumbs
Spells & Whistles
Strong Bad's E-mail
The Doctor Pepper Show
The New Adventures of Bobbin!
Wigu
Jeff Rowland's Overcompensating!
Tony Esteves's Cigarro & Cerveja
Two Lumps
Underpower
VG Cats
White Ninja Comics
Wulffmorgenthaler

ARCHIVES
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by Blogger