Pop Culture Victim
Saturday, February 05, 2005
  This weekend is officially I Love Comic Books weekend
I've probably dropped well over a hundred dollars on comic books today and yesterday. This is probably not so unremarkable, since I haven't bought any new trades in about six months. I tend to buy in spurts as well, so perhaps I've gotten it out of my system for now. For the record, the titles are:

Planetary: All Over The World And Other Stories
The Authority: Relentless
The Authority: Under New Management
Planetary: The Fourth Man
Just A Preacher
Rising Stars: Born In Fire

I've read the first three, and plan on reading the second three shortly. In brief, Planetary and Authority are the dog's bollocks, or if that's not your thing, they are something equivalently amazing. My respect for Warren Ellis' writing ability has completely overshadowed the mind-rapingly disturbing links he sometimes puts on his site.

Planetary is essentially about a team of pseudo-superpeople who go around trying to find weird stuff. (Like the secret moon mission that took off 5 years before the one you saw on TV, or a quantum computer built in 1945, or the spider-human subterrans living under New York.) What makes it so great is that it takes advantage of the serial nature of comics by having each issue be more or less self-contained, but with ties to the other issues that weave an over-arching conspiracy theory. If you like the X-Files or Alias, you know exactly what I'm talking about, provided you subtract the pure obfuscation and the cliched campiness respectively. The first trade covers the first 8 issues or so and ends right at the beginning of what is sure to be a killer story arc, so I'm excited about the second trade which is in my hands as-yet unread.

The Authority, in contrast, is a superhero book not-so-plain and rather-unsimple. The premise is the standard "superteam saves the world" kind of thing, but rather than being "Superman saves the day, puts the flag on the White House and we go back to business as usual," The Authority does stuff, and they take whatever measure they need to to make the world a better place. That, and they are that good. I had up to now always considered the Justice League to be the top superteam ever, capable of besting anyone up to and including the War God from the universe before this one. The Authority, on the other hand, could give them a run for the money, and possibly win. You would think that a superteam whose individual members are buff enough to take down entire batallions of other superhumans might be boring, since they always win. This can be true, as the later issues of JLA has started to prove, but the writing on Authority (again, Ellis) is good enough that it doesn't get stale at all. The only beef I have with the series is that the team making it changes after about issue 12, and while I like Quitely and Millar's style, I like Ellis and Hitch's better, and for that reason, I'm not sure if I will be getting further Authority books.

Now, I still have some Planetary to read, and chicken to eat. Ta!
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
What I think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great White North, Canada
RECENT POSTS
Dear America,
This week, in screwed-up dreams
My new career
I drawed a picture. It took a lot of squeezing of ...
Must see
Just when I thought I might be losing interest
Rush hour
They lurk!
I swear, every day is like this
How will you know?

GOOD BLOGS
BoingBoing
Warren Ellis
Mimi Smartypants
Websnark
Wonderland
One Good Thing
Neil Gaiman
Latigo Flint
Drug WarRant
Kung-Fu Monkey
Pre-Shrunk
Defective Yeti
Lawrence Lessig
Evil Avatar
Digital Copyright Canada
Techdirt

GOOD PODCASTS
Daily Sonic
Geek Fu Action Grip
Wingin' It with Mike and Evo

GOOD COMICS
8-bit Theatre
Alien Loves Predator
Angel Moxie
Checkerboard Nightmare
Chopping Block
Comet 7
Dork Tower
El Goonish Shive
Elf Only Inn
Girls With Slingshots
goats: the comic strip
Instant Classic
The Perry Bible Fellowship
Jeremy
Least I Could Do
Mac Hall Comics
MegaTokyo
Men In Hats
Narbonic!
Nodwick
Penny Arcade!
Piled Higher and Deeper
PvP
Queen of Wands :'(
Questionable Content
Real Life
Red Meat
Road Waffles
RPG World
Sam and Fuzzy
Scary Go Round
Sinfest
Skirting Danger
Sluggy Freelance
Something Positive
Sore Thumbs
Spells & Whistles
Strong Bad's E-mail
The Doctor Pepper Show
The New Adventures of Bobbin!
Wigu
Jeff Rowland's Overcompensating!
Tony Esteves's Cigarro & Cerveja
Two Lumps
Underpower
VG Cats
White Ninja Comics
Wulffmorgenthaler

ARCHIVES
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by Blogger