Pop Culture Victim
Wednesday, June 02, 2004
  A very Me-centric post coming up.
Note about the Blogroll: If you keep your cursor over the link for a second, some of them have some comments by me that will pop up. Just in case you wanted my two cents about what you would maybe be about to click.

Things are good.

By things, I of course mean recent events in the Realm of Me, and also meaning stuff in general. I received a package from Amazon yesterday containing the Invader Zim Vol 1 and Samurai Jack Season 1 DVDs as well as Top Ten Book 2. This is significant mainly because of the cumulative ass-kicking-ness of the sum of each item. Invader Zim is easily one of the better cartoons that has been put on the airwaves, tragically short-lived as it was due to marketing towards the wrong crowd. Samurai Jack on the other hand, which I started watching for the first time yesterday, is just uber. This is easily one of the best cartoon series I have seen, and it is all because of style. Everything about it just oozes style. I mean, the first episode has a total of barely 8 minutes of dialogue! It is AWESOME!!!

Top Ten is a special case. For one, it is penned by the unimitable Alan Moore. For another, it is the first thing I thought of when I started playing City of Heroes. Basically the idea is that back just before World War 2, science-heroes and aliens and robots and other such types started cropping up, and as they grew in population, Neopolis was created. It's basically a giant city where all the said super-people and otherwise abnormal folk live. Given that a city filled to the brim with superheroes, aliens, mad scientists, gods, robots and trans-dimensional pan-galactic beings live would be nigh-impossible for a normal police force to keep the peace in, a deal was struck with another dimension called Grand Central to have a precinct set up. This is Precinct 10 aka Top Ten, and basically holds the protagonists of the comic. End result? One part traditional superhero comic, one part satire on said traditional superhero comic, one part NYPD Blue-esque drama on day-to-day cop life, and one part "Where's Waldo?". I toss that last one only because nearly every bloody panel in the series has some in-joke to other comics or cartoons, whether it's a neo-cubist painting of the Fantastic Four on Lt. Colby's wall, to a cameo of Astro Boy flying in the background of a panel, or a re-enactment of the Arrival of Galactus done by Atom-Cats and Ultra-Mice (mice and kitties with super-powers). Oh yes, I am much a fan of Top Ten.

Cool new stuff to play with aside, I am looking forward to a most eventful weekend. Seems a friend of my parents had a free VIA Rail ticket, so I get to go to Quebec for a couple of days! I leave Friday afternoon for Montreal, and then continue to Quebec City the next day. I haven't a clue what I will be doing while I'm there, other than wandering around being a tourist, but if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to shout them out at me. The ones I have received so far amount to checking out Crescent St. and/or St Catherines St., and also to wander around "old" Montreal in the morning. For Quebec City, wandering around the "old" area there, (particularly the Chateau Frontenac, which is always a staple of trips to QC,) and also the street entertainment on the boardwalk by the St. Laurent.

To put this in gaming terms, how should I best gain some solo XP in the Montreal and Quebec City zones? (It's not exactly like I can just go beat up MOBs or anything...)
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
What I think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great White North, Canada
RECENT POSTS
They did that when??
Behold, the BlogRoll!
We are at the cusp of a very exciting wave.
A probably-not-so-glamorous self-portrait. Am I ju...
BOO!
Moping, but now with more Cow Bell.
121 posts. Wow.
I dub thee... Eggberry!
One post, and then I go to bed. Really.
Flabbergasted.

GOOD BLOGS
BoingBoing
Warren Ellis
Mimi Smartypants
Websnark
Wonderland
One Good Thing
Neil Gaiman
Latigo Flint
Drug WarRant
Kung-Fu Monkey
Pre-Shrunk
Defective Yeti
Lawrence Lessig
Evil Avatar
Digital Copyright Canada
Techdirt

GOOD PODCASTS
Daily Sonic
Geek Fu Action Grip
Wingin' It with Mike and Evo

GOOD COMICS
8-bit Theatre
Alien Loves Predator
Angel Moxie
Checkerboard Nightmare
Chopping Block
Comet 7
Dork Tower
El Goonish Shive
Elf Only Inn
Girls With Slingshots
goats: the comic strip
Instant Classic
The Perry Bible Fellowship
Jeremy
Least I Could Do
Mac Hall Comics
MegaTokyo
Men In Hats
Narbonic!
Nodwick
Penny Arcade!
Piled Higher and Deeper
PvP
Queen of Wands :'(
Questionable Content
Real Life
Red Meat
Road Waffles
RPG World
Sam and Fuzzy
Scary Go Round
Sinfest
Skirting Danger
Sluggy Freelance
Something Positive
Sore Thumbs
Spells & Whistles
Strong Bad's E-mail
The Doctor Pepper Show
The New Adventures of Bobbin!
Wigu
Jeff Rowland's Overcompensating!
Tony Esteves's Cigarro & Cerveja
Two Lumps
Underpower
VG Cats
White Ninja Comics
Wulffmorgenthaler

ARCHIVES
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by Blogger