Pop Culture Victim
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
  FUCK YOU WINAMP
Ok Winamp. We settle this here. I love your ability to play music. I like the smart views and the jump to feature and the media library. You are a nice, lightweight program that for the most part kicks ass.

HOWEVER.

You pester me for weeks about having to upgrade. I finally take the bait like a chump, lured by the promises of over 15,000 (!!!) fixed bugs and all that bullshit, and I uninstall the last version so as not to overwrite my install with multiple versions. This is not an uncommon practice, and yet on uninstall, you do some curious things. You leave your fucking skins and your plugins on my hard drive for future installs (the plugins I mind less, because they are useful; the skins are a waste of electromagnetism) and yet you blindly abolish all trace of my playlists, my settings and my song ratings. SONG RATINGS WINAMP, I HAD A LOT OF THESE.

In fact, I had a good chunk of my SXSW collection sorted according to suck/good, and now it's gone. I also had a nice list of good singles that made for brainless music, now gone too. The loss of my playlists, mostly my podcasts, is slightly less painful (except for my PERFECT playlist of Monster Magnet; seriously, this was the best Monster Magnet CD EVER) but it still hurts. Lastly, all my preferences are gone, so I need to rebind all my global hotkeys.

I HATE YOU SO HARD RIGHT NOW WINAMP. And no, you can't go and blame this one on me for having an elaborate setup. Mine is rather modest compared to some of your power users, and all this could be preventable with one of TWO simple things.
  1. You WARN ME that I will lose my playlists. My ratings. My preferences. (But not my fucking skins, of which I have exactly one: the one you come with. ARGH!) On uninstall. Instead, you just say that Winamp will be removed. GEE THANKS.
  2. You keep those things around. You keep the plugins and the skins, I know you can do it. You're a big girl now.
It will take so much more than flowers and chocolates to patch this up, and if I weren't lazy, your ass would be on the pavement outside as soon as I found a suitable replacement. Fortunately for you, XMMS is the only one I know of that does what you do, and it's not for Windows. So I am stuck with you. You can stay, but don't think for a second we are back together.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
What I think.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Great White North, Canada
RECENT POSTS
It's fun to use learning for evil!
Movie industry, or theater industry?
My sentiments exactly.
Oooh shiny!
Hey, I have a podcast!
I seem to have forgotten
Go see Batman Begins.
I think this speaks for itself.
On drawing
To all you haxx0rz out there

GOOD BLOGS
BoingBoing
Warren Ellis
Mimi Smartypants
Websnark
Wonderland
One Good Thing
Neil Gaiman
Latigo Flint
Drug WarRant
Kung-Fu Monkey
Pre-Shrunk
Defective Yeti
Lawrence Lessig
Evil Avatar
Digital Copyright Canada
Techdirt

GOOD PODCASTS
Daily Sonic
Geek Fu Action Grip
Wingin' It with Mike and Evo

GOOD COMICS
8-bit Theatre
Alien Loves Predator
Angel Moxie
Checkerboard Nightmare
Chopping Block
Comet 7
Dork Tower
El Goonish Shive
Elf Only Inn
Girls With Slingshots
goats: the comic strip
Instant Classic
The Perry Bible Fellowship
Jeremy
Least I Could Do
Mac Hall Comics
MegaTokyo
Men In Hats
Narbonic!
Nodwick
Penny Arcade!
Piled Higher and Deeper
PvP
Queen of Wands :'(
Questionable Content
Real Life
Red Meat
Road Waffles
RPG World
Sam and Fuzzy
Scary Go Round
Sinfest
Skirting Danger
Sluggy Freelance
Something Positive
Sore Thumbs
Spells & Whistles
Strong Bad's E-mail
The Doctor Pepper Show
The New Adventures of Bobbin!
Wigu
Jeff Rowland's Overcompensating!
Tony Esteves's Cigarro & Cerveja
Two Lumps
Underpower
VG Cats
White Ninja Comics
Wulffmorgenthaler

ARCHIVES
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by Blogger